A Son, a Brother, a Grandson, a Friend & a Hero
Born: Sunday, 18 March 2007 (Staten Island)
Passed: Tuesday, 4 November 2014 (Village Greens, Staten Island)
Joseph DeNicola; a son, a brother, a grandson, a nephew, a cousin, a friend, a hero. Joseph did not let his food allergies define him. He was the sweetest little boy. He would always put others before himself. At parties, if there was a line for something, Joseph let everyone else go ahead of him. Before leaving the table, he'd ask "may I be excused?" He would sleep next to his brother in bed some nights to "protect him from falling off the bed." Joseph loved Pokemon, his favorite character being Pikachu. Joseph always had a smile on his face, A smile that was contagious.
Joseph was a very active boy. Nothing stopped him. He was as normal as he could be and as happy as he can be, even given all of his allergies. He never let them bring him down. He was always in high spirits. He played baseball on a little league team, and got into learning Mixed Martial Arts where he won many competitions.
When Joseph was born, doctors changed his formula numerous times, and numerous times he would have to be rushed to the ER for allergic reactions. He was taken to an allergist where they would find he was allergic to milk and milk proteins, which include casein and whey, and also hazelnuts. This is where it all started. We had to read the ingredients in every box of anything we bought. Joseph's allergies were so bad. He would not only get a reaction from eating something he shouldn't, but he would also get a reaction just from the smell of the things he couldn't have. Joseph also had seasonal allergies plus asthma which required him to need a nebulizer plus receive daily treatments in school and at home. In school, Joseph was assigned a health para and had to eat at a sterilized table with just him and his para.
When Joseph passed, it was the most tragic thing anyone in my family ever had to face. Halloween day on October 31, 2014 Joseph was trick-or-treating with cousins, family members, and friends. After trick-or-treating Joseph went to family party with all people who were fully aware of all the allergies Joseph has and took all the necessary precautions. October was always a bad month for Joseph.
He had an allergic reaction that was unlike any before. When he was put on the nebulizer he was still alert and talking the whole time. I asked him if he was okay. He said yes. All of a sudden he started coughing more and more. I then said to him "Joseph I have to give you the EpiPen," which he responded saying "please don't give me the EpiPen I'm scared." I knew it had to be administered. So I gave him the EpiPen. Seconds later Joseph fell asleep in my arms. I ran downstairs and I administrated a second EpiPen. I was out the door in seconds and me and my neighbor drove him to the hospital. It took us less than five minutes to get there. Once we got there, Joseph took a turn for the worst. They said they had him stable, but then he went into cardiac arrest. It took them twenty minutes to bring Joseph back. They transferred him to another hospital and on the way, the ambulance driver kept saying "you boys are going home, his vital signs are great." Four days later Joseph was pronounced brain dead. This was the hardest time of my life. Joseph passed on November 4, 2014, but his legacy will live on forever. We donated his organs and Joseph saved countless children and adults.
Joseph passed on November 4, 2014. No matter your age, he touched your soul. Joseph will continue to live on forever in all of our prayers, in all of our minds, and most importantly, in all of our hearts.